Landcom and NSW Land and Housing Corporation (LAHC) are working together to transform the existing Airds public housing estate into a modern, socially mixed community with 70% of dwellings in private ownership and the remaining 30% for public housing.
Landcom prepared the concept plan for the project and is managing the development on LAHC’s behalf, including securing development approvals, construction and sale of lots, building new seniors housing and delivering upgraded open spaces.
The project includes:
- around 880 existing houses to be kept; some for public housing and others to be sold to private owners
- 53 seniors housing apartments to be kept and an additional 52 apartments for seniors to be built
- lots for around 1,119 new privately owned homes
- approximately 38ha of regenerated bushland, with access to Georges River Reserve
- tree canopies to create a wildlife corridor between Smiths Creek Reserve and Georges River Reserve
- an upgraded town centre with new shops and improved open space
- partnering with TAFE NSW and our works contractors to provide skills development programs, which are open to local community and are building pathways for long term employment.
Stages 1 and 2 are now complete. Construction is now underway on Stage 3 and planning is continuing for future stages, services upgrades and open spaces.
Newbrook will benefit the community by:
- delivering some of Sydney’s most affordable new land, which is particularly attractive to first home buyers
- renewing an area with high levels of disadvantage with poor quality housing to create a sustainable, mixed-income community, with new services and great open spaces.